Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The True Intention

They say that “the road to hell is paved with good intentions,” and I am beginning to doubt that…to HIGHLY doubt that.
They also say that “no good deed goes unpunished…(“no act of charity goes un-resented” –Ok, I’m done!)
Really?

I have been wanting to blog about this new obsession of mine for a while now but anyone who’s even written from the heart knows that when the content hits a bit too close to the core it gets difficult to continue, but here we go…a blog post about Intention.
There are a few themes circling around my head, probably much too much for one blog post, however, the through line, the common denominator, the constant variable seems to be intention.
Merriam-Webster defines Intention as 1: a determination to act in a certain way 2: PURPOSE. Now, the fact that definition #2 is in all caps I feel is no “over-look” or accident. To me, intention is purpose…the reason, the impetus, the spark that ignites and illicits change, the cause for action. Yes, yes, yes, this is the definition of intention, but what’s become a bit unclear for me (and maybe for many of us) is TRUE intention.

Yup!

This is where my mind starts to reel and spin. I second guess, I dig deep, I try to figure out what it REALLY is that I’m looking for, and what is it that I’m trying to gain with the words that I use, or by the actions I take. The phone calls, and text messages, the seeing friends shows, and the picking them up from the subway station to walk them to their next job just to see them for a few blocks. The hours spent on hook-up or dating web sites, chatting with or being ignored by and for what??? What are my intentions…my TRUE intentions??? Some days they are clear, and some days they really aren’t and this is why it’s taken so long to write, and why I am rambling yet again.

I got into a bit of a discussion a little over a month ago with a friend when I said that the one thing you can’t measure is a person’s true intention. He told me that not only can you see someone’s “intentions” through their actions, but also that technology as advanced to the point where you can literally measure a person’s “intentions.” To which I responded, “You can measure if someone is telling the truth or not via algorithms and spikes in physiological responses to certain questions, but you can never measure someone’s TRUE intention.” I said this because I believe that I can physically say whatever I’d like rather it be the truth or not. And because I believe those tests can be manipulated. But I also said it because, honestly, sometimes I don’t even know what my TRUE intentions are so how can someone else, outside of me, be so sure???…

There, I said it!



I can barely read my own mind, which must make it impossible for someone else to know the true reasoning behind my actions.

A simple example: Someone goes to the grocery store. People go to the grocery store all the time, fine, but why??? Because they need groceries? Sure… why not. But what if there’s a need to get out of the house? Be it because they’re being abused and need the escape even if it’s for a mere half hour. Or they’re going stir crazy, bored and depressed, home alone and just need a change of scenery. What if there’s a check out clerk who will be there and they just want to see them? All completely different intentions, all valid, yet all tied to the same action…and all easily dismissed by saying “What? I’m just going to the grocery store.”  

Now, if we want to get REALLY heady, there’s also the fact that we are all raised to be social beings, and in order to fit into this social society we must know and agree with the differences between “right” and “wrong”…and to choose “right.”
Now, in order to choose and to continually choose “right,” whatever has been agreed upon as “right” must be justified, and so it is justified. Rather individually or socially, a justification for an action is set in place. “I do this to be a good mother,” “I do this to be a good spouse,” “I do this because it’s ‘right’…” but what happens when we doubt that justification or when it isn’t enough? What if our intentions become unclear because we no longer know if they are OUR intentions or the intention’s thrust upon us by society?

See the confusion?

I will take last night as another example (this is all part of me clarifying things for myself so please bare with me as I share this personal example…I’m sure I’m getting somewhere):
It was New Years Eve, I had a fun gig go-go dancing to disco music at a lovely members only club. It paid some money, was an open bar, and I was obliged to invite one guest. I invited a friend that I hoped would come back to my place that night and spend the majority of the following day with me, a cuddle buddy to help bring in a warm new year. What we did instead was meet up with his roommate, around 1:45am after the gig, so that they could go home together. I walked them to their train then walked myself back to my train…alone.
It took a day or two for that fever to break and for the swelling to go down, but not because of my friend going home and leaving me alone, but because of my own lack of truth and clarity. To start, said friend and I had already spoken of what was to/and not to become of our friendship, and as a result, because of that conversation I was “too scared” to be honest about my desires and ultimately my true intentions.

Gosh, as I write I see that there is so much at play here…it’s overwhelming but the only way to get through any of it is to step through the facts that we already know, one at a time…So…

Fact 1: Honesty: the only way to be honest with others is to be honest with ourselves! My friend was clear…I (as many people do) decided to BELIEVE in what I wanted to be true as opposed to the actual truth. This is slip #1. In choosing to believe the non-truth, I allowed myself to veer down a path that would lead me away from my friend and keep me from attaining my happiness. This, I think we can all agree, is counterproductive.

This brings us back to True Intention: (step 2) I feel we’re at a point where I can be candid with you, my True Intention was to “Git Sum,” and I wanted “sum” from my friend. Slip #2: I cleaned my apartment top to bottom, I bought extra groceries and the fixin’s for morning mimosas, and I invited my friend to this very exclusive party, all the while telling myself that “whatever happens, happens and it’s all fine!” and even “What am I doing? I know ‘better’ than this!” But I continued…NEVER ONCE being honest about my intentions with my friend. I didn’t ask if he’d be interested in any of what I’d already spent my time and energy on. This is the horse pill that’s tough to swallow…I truly set myself up to be let down. I did just about everything I could to not get what I wanted…down to wanting something I knew very well was not mine to have!

*Wow, yup, I said that too*

I’ve realized that the reason why I grapple with relationship “stuff” is because matters of the emotional heart of others is probably the thing furthest from my control, but that may be a whole ‘nother blog post for another day.        

THE MORAL of my little anecdote is that we must be as honest and as clear about our intentions as we can be. We owe it to each other, and most importantly we owe it to ourselves! We must also be honest enough with ourselves to take responsibility for our own lack of clarity (this is often times the hardest part). In this situation, my friend really didn’t do anything “wrong.” On the contrary, he was very honest and upfront with his feelings and his intentions. He was invited, and he came. I hope he had a good time, but alas, he did his part. Now it’s time for me to really reassess what it is I want, how I intend to find it, then to open myself up to the gifts from this universe!
(…And I encourage us all to do the same!)
Let us start by really knowing why we are doing what we do. Depending on your relationship, it may be healthy to share that, but honestly…as long as your intentions are clear to yourself, you can continue down the path towards your own happiness!

I think I need a nap…Phew!

~S



No comments:

Post a Comment